Skip Counting Fun

Hi Everyone,
I'm back with some skip counting fun! We have been all about making groups, skip counting, and patterns these days! And, let me tell ya, it hasn't been all that easy!!!!

I decided to incorporate different ideas into our lessons to make it a little more fun, engaging, and meaningful. We've been practicing everyday and they are starting to pick it up!


The problem does not lie with skip counting. They can count 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 ... all the way to 100. Our difficulties lie with skip counting by 5s and 10s while starting with a different number, like 30, for instance. So we started off with these cards and threw them on the floor as we skip counted around them. It was quite amusing and memorable!

We have been practicing a lot and we also like to count in different voices. It's really quite funny and they seem to grasp it better when we are being goofy and silly! 

We also skipped counted on the Smartboard... While popping balloons! 
Loud, but effective!


We skip counted on our number chart and looked for the patterns. 
These clear highlight strips are 
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G btw! 

I use them for everything! I bought them back in July, in Vegas, from Resources for Reading. 
I highly recommend them! They are great. 

We have decided to keep the strips up for the moment and refer back to it quite a bit. 
We looked for the pattern when skip counting by 5s and 10s and this visual REALLY helps. 



We have been practicing skip counting in other ways too. Patterns have proven to be the most difficult, so we have backtracked to simple skip counting and making groups. This has helped a lot. 


You can grab yourself a FREE copy of these worksheets (for 5s and 10s) along with the skip counting cards right HERE!

The more variety you include in your skip counting lessons, the more learning will occur! I am seeing them transfer this concept to other activities now and I am LOVING it! 

Next week we will begin my new math centers.


You can check out my Patterns Centers HERE and my Counting 
and my Comparing Numbers Centers HERE!

I can't wait to see how it goes and report back to you! The last time we did centers in math it really helped them better understand the concepts we had covered! They rocked their tests!

Until next time...

1 comment

  1. Thank you for the great ideas. We are starting skip counting next week and I am always looking for new ideas. I love the skip counting in different voices!!!
    Cheers,
    Terri
    Terri's Teaching Treasures

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top